Sunday, October 3, 2010

What I got out of general conference

On Saturday, I just sort of pretended it wasn't conference weekend and went about my own business.  So, the first session of conference I watched was Sunday morning.  This is what I got out of it

President Henry B. Eyring
We must trust in the Lord - and in his duly called servants.  And, if we lack trust in said servants then it's our own darn fault because we don't have enough faith.  Implying that said servants have absolutely zero responsibility to do anything to earn our trust.  We're supposed to trust in them just because.

President Boyd K. Packer
God only approves of marriage between one man and one woman (I suppose we'll just ignore those pesky Brigham Young years) - and anybody who believes in same sex marriage is evil.  Anybody who believes the law of the land should be changed to recognize same sex marriages is doubly evil.  And God only approves of sex between a man and a woman who are married, preferably in the temple (I suppose if you're married, but not in the temple, then He merely tolerates you having sex with your spouse).

o
o
o

Concluding Speaker
My name is President Thomas S. Monson - and I approve of the messages given in this session of conference.
 OK, I must admit, I did enjoy the rest of President Monson's remarks about gratitude.  But, Packers talk has just left a bad taste in my mouth - so, now I'm grumpy; and, at this point, I'm not sure I'll even bother watching the Sunday afternoon session.

[sigh] I thought general conference was supposed to be uplifting

4 comments:

A.J. said...

Glad I didn't listen I would have throw something at my computer screen during Packer's talk. I can't afford to buy a new one. How are you doing? -A.J.

Sean said...

i too have a sour taste today. i did not feel uplifted but stepped on.

as for the pm sun session... i slept.

Nigel said...

I couldn't help but to turn conference off when Packer started talking. If there was anyone who can kill the spirit better than Elder Holland, it would be him. In Hollands defense though, he only is one when he's in the mood for a little brown-nosing.

bale said...

Thank you for this post.

People thought that the Church was becoming more accepting and understanding (e.g. "God Loveth His Children" pamphlet and giving support for anti-discrimination laws in SLC).

Here's a good article posted quickly after the talk aired:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50404210-75/church-sex-lds-packer.html.csp

My suggestion to any Mohos out there, read "No Man Knows My History" and/or "An Insider's View of Mormon Origins". The lies go deeper than you know and its time to GET OUT!