Wednesday, May 2, 2007

In the gay world, but not of the gay world


There is a common axiom we often hear in the LDS church: We should be in the world, but not of the world. I've used this phrase with my children and when teaching lessons at church. It rolls off of our tongues so easily, but what does it really mean?

I believe we can get an inkling of what it means in the thirteenth article of faith which states:
13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

But, how many of us can truthfully say that we abide by this in everything we do? Or is this more of an ideal that we strive for knowing that we will always fall short in some way?

I know I have things that I seek after that are not bad, but they are also not always virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy. I know of other things that are considered virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy that I do not seek after. In fact, I may even actively avoid.

Take television as an example. The shows on BYU-TV would be defined by most as virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, but, IMOHO, most are also incredibly boring - so I do not seek after them. In fact, I actively avoid most shows on BYU-TV (General Conference being a notable exception). But, what about shows that I do watch. For example: "House", this show flashes a Parental Discretion Advised message when it begins. Can a show that requires parental discretion warning be virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy? Am I being of the world for watching such shows?

And, can this axiom be applied to the gay world? In other words, is it possible to be in the gay world, but not of the gay world? Is participating in the Mormon queerosphere an example of being in the gay world, but not of the gay world? What other examples are there for being in the gay world, but not of the gay world?

Thoughts anyone?

3 comments:

Scot said...

What other examples are there for being in the gay world, but not of the gay world?"

Metrosexuals? Ted Haggard? Grace, of Will and Grace? ;-)

playasinmar said...

Ted Haggard. Ted Haggard!

Bwaahaha!!!

Abelard Enigma said...

Ted Haggard??? Ewwww!!!

I was hoping for some thoughts with a more positive twist - not some snake oil salesman.