Monday, January 29, 2007

A funny thing happened at church yesterday

Sunday started out as just a normal Sabbath day. I got up at 5:30am, showered and dressed and was at church at 6:30am for Bishopric meeting. After Bishopric, we had Ward Correlation meeting. Afterwards, we had a few minutes before Sacrament meeting started at 9:00am. I was in the chapel greeting people when my wife walked up and pulled me aside. She then asked if I knew that I was wearing my blue suit pants and gray suit jacket. I couldn't believe it - I had to look for myself. Sure enough, she was right, as she usually is in these matters.

To make matters worse, it was my day to conduct Sacrament meeting. So, I took off my suit jacket and left it on the bench next to my wife and then went and took my place up on the stand next to the Bishop. There we were, the Bishop and other counselor, as well as a visiting high counselor, sitting there with their dark suits, and me with a bright white shirt yelling out "I'm a doofus."

When I got up to start the meeting. I apologized for not wearing a suit jacket and explained what happened (which elicited some chuckles). I then added that I didn't know who should be more embarrassed. Me for not knowing how to dress myself, or the rest of the Bishopric and the Ward Correlation Committee for not noticing or telling me.

One of these days, I'm going to make it through church without screwing up somehow. But, I figure that the day that happens is the day I get released. I've forgotten prayers, to do the sacrament, to release or sustain people, etc. Now I don't know how to dress myself in the morning (I told the Bishop 6:30am meetings were a bad idea - I'm not a morning person). Sometimes, I think the reason they put me up there is so everyone else can look at me and think "gee, I'm not doing so bad" :-)

And, I thought gay guys were supposed to have this innate fashion sense. Man, I can't even do that right. :-(

On another topic, the DVD "States of Grace" came today (a day early). Not sure when I'm going to be able to watch it. I want to check with my daughter first to see if she wants to watch it with me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

States of Grace is by far the best Mormon movie I've ever seen, and one of my top ten favorites of all time. Even shown it to my non-member friends who have a whole new appreciation for missionaries AND the atonement.

However, it is PG-13 for a reason.

Enjoy!!!