Wednesday, January 3, 2007

A new year

The holidays are over and we begin a new year. It's hard to believe that it's already 2007. I remember, as a young kid, wondering what it would be like when we got into the 21st century. It certainly isn't what I imagined it would be all those years ago. For one thing, where are the flying cars??? Weren't we supposed to be flying around like the Jetson's by now? And weren't we supposed to have robot maids to help around the house?

A new year brings new year resolutions. This year I started on a new diet called the Sonoma diet. I believe it is similar to the South Beach diet. At least, when you go to the web sites for the Sonoma diet and South Beach diet, they look suspiciously similar.

My wife, daughter, and myself are all on the diet together which is going to make it much easier - at least, that's the plan. We tried this diet last year; but, we didn't stick with it. For one thing, we never did the pantry purge; so, there was always tempting stuff around the house. This time around, I'm going to try to follow the diet to the letter.

Yesterday was Day 0 where my daughter and I went through the pantry to clean out all of the stuff we aren't allowed to eat (chips, candy, etc.). The stuff that doesn't weigh much (macaroni & cheese, etc.) I'm going to ship to my son at BYU-Idaho. The rest of the stuff I'm going to give to my oldest son who lives in the area. Whatever he doesn't want I'll donate to the local food bank. I also threw out a big garbage bag full of partially opened packages, much to my wife's chagrin.

Today is Day 1 where we actually start the diet. As I recall from last year, the food we eat on this diet is pretty tasty. But, it's a lot of work to prepare. For example, for lunch today we had Greek salad with grilled shrimp. Fortunately, I work from home, so I have access to a grill during the day. I don't know what I would do if I actually had to drive to work and sit in an office all day. For dinner I'm making Chicken en Papillote with Vegetables. I get 33 almonds for a snack, I've been eating them in 11 almond servings. I've eaten 22 almonds thus far today. I'm saving my last 11 almonds for tonight.

The first 10 days of the diet is Wave 1 which is more strict than Wave 2 which we'll start after the 10 days. I'm kind of hungry and grumpy right now; but, I'm resisting the urge to go eat those last 11 almonds.

must ... resist ...

No comments: