Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Sexual orientation revisted

After speculating that I might be a 4.5 on the Kinsey scale (see my post To be gay, or not to be gay from December 22, 2006), iasme suggested I take the The Klein Sexual Orientation Grid quiz found on http://www.youthnetsouthampton.org.uk/.

Well, I took the challenge and scored an average of 3.48 on the Klein Sexual Orientation Grid.




01 2 3 4 5 6

HeterosexualBisexualHomosexual

One thing that I think skews the Klein Sexual Orientation Grid score towards straight (at least for me) is the Ideal column. For Past and Present I have actual thoughts, feelings, and experiences I can use to determine how to answer the questions. But, when it comes to Ideal, I'm not answering for how I was or am; but, for what I want to be. The truth of the matter is if someone were to invent a magic 'straight pill' then I would want to take it. While I'm starting to accept that I'm gay, it's not really what I want to be. So, I answered the questions under Ideal probably like many straight people would have.

There is another quiz on that web site called the The Multidimensional Scale of Sexuality which I also took where I scored as a Homosexual.

Complete set of results

Homosexual:
3
Heterosexual:
1
Homosexual with some heterosexuality:
1
Sequential bisexual:
1
Asexual:
0
Concurrent bisexual:
0
Heterosexual with some homosexuality:
0
Past heterosexual, currently homosexual:
0
Past homosexual, currently heterosexual:
0

So, what does this all mean? Absolutely nothing! While these types of quizzes can be fun, the fact of the matter is that they all try to over simplify something that is extremely complex and which, only in recent years, are we beginning to understand. It also doesn't change anything. At the end of the day, like it or not, I'm still gay.

But, this type of analysis does illustrate that there are multiple dimensions to being gay. It's not like a light switch where you are either straight or gay. There are lots of gray areas in between.

No comments: